Share this record
Sandwell Council support for children entitled to free school meals during school holidays 2021.
Holiday clubs taking part in the Holiday Activities and Food programme will provide a healthy meal and a range of play activities for school aged children during Easter, Summer, and October Half Term school holidays.
Children will be able to access holiday club activities for 4 hours a day for 4 days a week. Any additional hours or flexible times may incur a charge. Parents are advised to talk to the holiday club in advance to discuss extra charges.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sandwell Council has been allocated Government Grant Funding to run the Holiday Activities and Food Programme in 2021. The programme will support all school aged children and young people in Sandwell, including children with SEND and additional needs.
The Holiday Activities and Food Programme is open to children and families who are eligible for free school meals. The programme aims to provide children with healthy food and enriching social, physical play opportunities during the school holidays.
Some Holiday Clubs offer a healthy meal for children, a range of fantastic face to face, digital software platforms and/ or remote activities. All activities will support children’s development, enhance health and wellbeing, social skills, mental health, creative and imaginative skills, cultural understanding, empowerment and independence.
All the holiday clubs participating are either registered with Ofsted and inspected by Ofsted or monitored by the Local Authority. The providers have appropriately trained staff who are experienced with working with children aged 5 years and above and working with children who have special educational needs and disabilities. Staff regularly access safeguarding, paediatric first aid, food safety, health and safety training as these are a requirement of their Ofsted registration.
All the Ofsted registered clubs taking part in the programme are on the Family Information Service Hub.
You can find the Ofsted report for each club, along with other information about the club and how to contact them directly.
The holiday clubs participating in the programme will be available during some or all of the school holidays in 2021.
They will usually open during the week from 9am to 5pm. However, some clubs may vary these times, so it is best to check with the club you want to use.
An example of times the club may offer:
Morning holiday club 9.30am-12.30pm
Afternoon holiday club 12.30pm-3.30pm
Full day holiday club 8am-6pm
You must register your child on the Holiday Activities and Food Programme.
Holiday clubs may also provide a holiday club registration form which will include contact details from you and information regarding your child’s needs and additional requirements.
Eligible children who do not live in Sandwell will be able to access the activity programme in their home local authority.
Please contact your local council to find out what they can offer.
The law says they must:
- only hold information that they need for the delivery of the programme
- only use the information for that reason
- make sure the information they hold is accurate
- keep the information only for as long as it is needed
- make sure they only use the information lawfully and not breach your rights as the owner of this information
- keep the information secure at all times
They will need to share your child's information with the provider of any activities that your child takes part in. This is to make sure that the provider can effectively deliver their activities.
Once you have registered your child they will only share your child’s personal information with the providers who deliver the activity and holiday programme, and only for the purpose of delivering the programme.
Email your questions to Holiday Activities and Food Programme
Contact helpline 0121 569 4960
Holiday Playschemes in Sandwell can apply to take part in the HAF Programme.
To find out more and apply please contact Simone Harewood
Frequently Asked Questions about the application process
- Can the panel choose an earlier date to approve HAF applications?
- No all applications are considered at the same panel meeting.
- Can we offer HAF from as early as the 26th July?
- Is there flexibility to offer HAF in October?
- Yes, you can offer from the start of school holidays in July.
- You will have to re-apply for any other school holidays.
- If we can’t offer hot food can an outside caterer provide hot food?
- Yes, as long as you source it and the provider meets school food standards
- Will parents get confirmation as a text or email when they register?
- Yes, all parents registering on the website get an email confirmation