Skip to main content

Resolving a disagreement

Add to My Shortlist

If you are not happy with what is happening at any stage, you should contact your named Assessment Officer. Very often, these difficulties can be resolved quite easily.

You may also contact the Special Educational Needs Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS).

The next step is access to a SEND Mediation service. This step must be considered before you can appeal to an idependent tribunal (see below). Full details of available SEND Mediation services will be provided by the SEN Team in any communication with families concerning dispute resolution.

If you are still not in agreement you have the right to appeal to an independent tribunal, called the SEN and Disability Tribunal. You can get information about this tribunal from us, from SENDIASS or directly from the Tribunal Office

You can appeal to the SEND Tribunal when the Local Authority decides

  • not carry out an EHC needs assessment of your child
  • not to draw up an EHC plan for your child following an assessment
  • the Local Authority decides not to amend the plan after a review or re-assessment
  • the Local Authority decides to cease to maintain your child’s plan.

 You can also appeal if you do not agree with the

  • parts of the plan that describe your child’s special educational needs (Section B)
  • special educational provision set out in the plan (Section F)
  • school or setting named in the plan (Section I)