Skip to main content

Children and Young Adults with Disabilities/Special Educational Needs Register

Add to My Shortlist
children and young adults disability register

Under the 1989 Children Act, Sandwell Council has a duty to keep a Register of Children and Young Adults with Disabilities/Special Needs whose home address is in the borough of Sandwell.

This is a voluntary register for children and young people, from birth to 25 years old who have a disability. It is the parent or guardian's choice to place their child on the register.


How do I register?


To register you must be a Sandwell resident and complete a registration form on My Sandwell 

You will be asked to include your email address - this will enable us to send you information. It will not be shared with other organisations.

You can opt out at any time by emailing

What are the benefits of registering?

Registering will allow you to keep up to date with developments in service provision and  the latest news including the SEND Local Offer and other relevant information that supports children and young people with SEND.

Section 10 of the Children Act 2004 provides the legal basis for partnerships working across local authorities, health authorities, and other relevant parties; for example, parent forums.

Your data will be used anonymously for the planning and delivery of short breaks and other services.

Sandwell SEND News and Updates

How will the data be used?

All information held on the Children & Young People’s Disabilities Register will be treated in the strictest confidence and is protected in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018

Your data may be used anonymously for commissioning short breaks and planning other services for children and young people with SEND.

Sandwell Council Privacy Notice has more information on how your personal will be handled and the policies and procedures that ensure your information is processed responsibly and legally.

Do I need a diagnosis to register?

You do not need a diagnosis to register.

Under the Equality Act 2010 a person has a disability if they have a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

This can include any condition which affects someone for 12 months or more and also any progressive condition that will get worse over time.

Cancer HIV and Multiple Sclerosis are automatically defined as a disability from the day of diagnosis.

Who do I contact for more information?

For more information on the Local Offer and the Children and Young Adults with Disabilities/Special Educational Needs Register contact the Family Information Service