Skip to main content

Help with your household bills

Add to My Shortlist

Find here lots of information on saving money on your household bills.   You can also find out here if there are any grants and benefits available to you.

Help with household bills

Money Advice Service

The Money Advice Service have pulled together a list of dedicated guides to help you save money on your house hold bills.

Citizens Advice

Information on what to do if you are struggling to pay your household bills.

Money Saving Expert

Use the Money Saving Experts Money Makeover guide to help you cut your household bills.

Help with energy bills and switching energy supplier

Citizens Advice

Information about the benefits, grants and help offered by the government and energy suppliers.


uSwitch is an free online and telephone comparison and switching service that helps you to compare prices on a range of products and services such as gas and electricity suppliers and broadband providers.

  • Phone: 0800 6888 557

Sandwell Energy Switch

Collective switching is where a group of consumers join together to negotiate a better deal with their gas and electricity suppliers. An auction then takes place where energy companies will offer competitive prices for the group. It is free to join collective switching and you do not have to accept the winning offer, so there is nothing to lose

Energy Extra

Help give housing association and local authority tenants easy access to cheaper gas and electricity providing advice, support and information to reduce energy costs and bills. 

  • Phone: 0121 561 7926

Sandwell Consortium

Provides impartial advice to home owners and those in private rented properties on issues such as pre-payment metering, understanding energy bills and switching energy providers.

Energy Saving Trust

Offers independant and impartial advice to help you lower your energy usage and energy bills

Sandwell Home Improvement Agency

Offers homeowners help and support with housing repair improvements and adaptions, also gives advice and information about energy efficieny.

  • Phone: 0121 569 5232


Impartial information and advice on household and business energy from Britain's energy regulator, Ofgem. Choose from our energy guides or compare suppliers and view our consumer research below.

Finding it difficult to pay your water bills?

Severn Trent Water’s Big Difference Scheme can help customers who are on a low income

South Staffs Water’s Assure tariff provides similar support to their customers

Warmth and Heating Schemes

Cold Weather Payment scheme

If you are in receipt of certain benefits you maybe entitled to a Cold Weather Payment to help with the cost of heating your home. The scheme usually runs between November and March and if eligible, you will receive a payment of £25 for each 7 day period of very cold weather during these months.

Sandwell Affordable Warmth Programme- for a limited time, Sandwell are offering to provide central heating systems to homeowners who have no central heating or an old inefficient "G" rated boiler or back boiler. You may be eligible if you are a low household income, are over 60, are disabled or have a chronic health issue. Call warm zone on 0121 552 0563 for further information

Warm Home Discount scheme- for certain households, energy suppliers are giving £140 to help with energy bills. To find out more contact EnergyExtra (if you rent a Housing Association or local Authority property) or Sandwell Consortium (if you are in a privately rented home or home owner)