Skip to main content

Asking for an assessment

Add to My Shortlist

As well as parents raising concerns, schools and nurseries will use a variety of assessment tools to identify if a child has special educational needs (SEN).

There are certain expectations after a child has been found to have SEN

  • The school must tell parents when they first identify that a child may have SEN.
  • The school, in discussion with parents, will plan additional or extra support to help the child. This is called SEN Support
  • This help could be a different way of teaching the things your child is finding difficult, some help from an adult, perhaps support in a small group or 1:1, or use of a particular piece of equipment.
  • At an agreed point in time (usually termly) the effectiveness of the support and the progress the child has made will be reviewed with parents. At this point a new plan might be required.
  • The new plan may include the involvement of other agencies such as Inclusion Support who can give additional specialist advice

If the child has more complex needs and does not make progress, despite at least 12 months of intervention, the school may require additional resources to help your child make progress; it may be appropriate to think about requesting an Education, Health and Care Assessment.