Skip to main content

Early Years Pupil Premium

Add to My Shortlist
Early Years Pupil Premium

If your child is 3 or 4 years old and receiving the universal 15 hours free childcare in Sandwell, your childcare provider may be eligible for Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP).

The Early Years Pupil Premium is extra funding paid to your registered childcare provider to support your child/children’s development, learning and care.

reachdeck_icon.jpg ReachDeck toolbar to translate the page


Can I get Early Years Pupil Premium?

Your child/children will be eligible if you are in receipt of one or more of the following benefits (same criteria used to access eligibility for free school meals):

• Income Support

• Income-based Jobseekers Allowance

• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

• Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

• The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit

• Child tax credit (but not working tax credit) and earn no more than £16,190 a year.

• Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for 4 weeks after you stop receiving Working Tax Credit)

• Universal Credit and earn no more than £7,400 a year

You may also be eligible if your child:

  • is currently being looked after by a local authority in England or Wales
  • has left care in England or Wales through:
    • an adoption order
    • a special guardianship order
    • a child arrangements order

 If you are not in receipt of any of the above you will not be eligible for EYPP

How do I apply?

How do I apply for Early Years Pupil Premium funding?

If your child attends a Day Nursery, Childminder or Pre School you will be asked to tick a box and sign when you complete your parent declaration to confirm that you are happy for your details to be checked for eligibility for EYPP via the funding portal.

If your child attends a school nursery, you will be asked to complete an EYPP form which will be used to check your eligibility.

How do I receive the funding?

How do I receive the Early Years Pupil Premium?

The Early Years Pupil Premium is paid directly to your childcare provider as part of their normal funding claim.


How can the extra funds help my child?

This extra funding can be used in lots of ways to give them the best start in life and prepare them for full time school.

For example, the funding can be used to provide;

• Specialist training for staff e.g. speech and language development

• Extra or individual support in a particular learning area

• Extra equipment to support particular development

• Additional staffing or staff hours to enable further support for your child

Early years and childcare providers will have to demonstrate to Ofsted, the regulator of these services, how they have used these extra funds to support your child.


Will I be involved in how the money is being spent?

Your child’s key person, as part of their ongoing communication, will continue to talk to you about your child’s time in the setting. 


What happens if my financial situation changes?

If your child is eligible for Early Years Pupil Premium, the childcare provider will continue to be paid until your child starts reception regardless of any change to your financial situation.