Share this record
Kids are spending more and more time online, so as parents you need advice to help keep them safe.
You may feel out of touch with Snapchat and Instagram. Do you know who they are chatting to online, what they are uploading, who they are gaming with? What kids are into online changes fast and as parents it can be hard to keep up with new apps and games.
It can be difficult to know how to start talking to your child about what they’re doing online or who they might be speaking to.
There are lots of resources that can help you navigate what can at times feel like an ever changing and complex online world.
Talking regularly to your child, like you would about their day at school, will help your child feel relaxed and mean that when they do have any worries, they’re more likely to come and speak to you.
- reassure them that you're interested in their life, offline and online. Recognise that they'll be using the internet to research homework as well talking to their friends.
- ask your child to show you what they enjoy doing online or apps they’re using so you can understand them.
- be positive but also open about anything you're worried about. You could say "I think this site's really good" or "I'm a little worried about things I've seen here."
- ask them if they're worried about anything, and let them know they can come to you.
- ask them about their friends online and how they know they are who they say they are.
- listen for the reasons why your child wants to use apps or sites you don't think are suitable, so you can talk about these together.
- ask your child what they think's okay for children of different ages so they feel involved in the decision making.
Agree some rules about how they spend their time online
Set up parental controls on your child’s device
Help them master the basics
Look out for signs they might need some support
Find the right time to talk about online safety
Gaming advice on online gaming and how to do it safely
Live Streaming and Video Apps using live streaming platforms and video apps safely
Parental Controls advice on setting up parental controls on devices
Under 5's online keeping young children safe online
Jessie & Friends fun animation videos for children and parents about online safety
Childline use childline message board to talk to others about cyber bullying
Cyber Bullying advice on cyber bullying
Sexting and sending nudes advice on sharing sexual images and texts online
Instant Messaging guide to the latest trends
Parent Zone lots of advice and tips for parents
Removing a nude image shared online Follow the steps to get your image or video removed from the internet.