Parents, Carers & Siblings

Parents and carers play a vital role in their child's development and any discussions about how a child's special educational needs should be met. Their views should always be taken into account and the wishes of the child should also be heard. Which is why there are organisations in Sandwell to ensure that the right support is out there for parents, carers and siblings.

Staff at Sandwell SEN service are always ready to answer questions and to work in partnership with parents on issues related to a child's special needs. They can be contacted by telephone on 0121 569 8240 or by email at

We recognise that it is vital for parents and carers to be fully involved in discussions about their child. To help with this Sandwell has issued A Guide for Parents and Carers which is a full guide to the support available to children with special educational needs and disabilities in schools, including statutory assessment and Education, Health and Care Plans. The guide is available in the downloads section of this page.

Support for young carers

A young carer is someone under 18 who helps look after someone in their family, or a friend, who is ill, disabled or misuses drugs or alcohol. In Sandwell young carers can access all aspects of support, including short breaks, advocacy and mentoring from Sandwell Young Carers.

Sandwell SEND Information, Advice and Support Service

The Sandwell SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) provides neutral advice and support to help parents and carers involved in discussions about their child's SEN.

Watch the video below by the Council for Disabled children which explains more about the role of SENDIASS:

Get in touch with us

Family Information Service
Back to top