Social Care, Short Breaks & Childcare

Some disabled children and their parents will need practical support both inside the home and outside it. Local authorities have a legal responsibility to help families with disabled children. 

Social care is a term that generally describes all forms of personal care and other practical assistance for children, young people and adults who need extra support.

Childcare services take on the responsibility for caring for your child to allow you to do other things such as hold down a job.

Childcare Services

It is important that parents of children and young people are able to access high quality childcare. To find out more about childcare services in Sandwell, including the Childcare Brokerage Service click on the 'Childcare and Early Learning' link in the 'Related Links' section.

Children with Disabilities Team

This is Sandwell Council's social care team that supports children and young people with severe and profound disabilities up to the age of 18, and their families.

What support do they give?

  • Information on the impact of a disability on a child or young person and their family.
  • Support at home for parent or carers in caring for a child with a disability.
  • Short breaks during the day in a family's home and in the community or overnight in foster care and residential units.
  • Play and leisure opportunities.
  • Direct payments to enable families to buy in their own care.
  • Signposting to other agencies that may be able to help.
  • Counselling to talk through worries and problems.

You can also read their team policy by clicking on the link in the downloads section of this page.

The team includes social workers and community support workers.

Contact the team:

They are open between 9am and 5.30pm from Monday to Thursdays and between 9am and 5pm on Fridays.

Telephone:  0121 569 5616


Write to or visit at: Sandwell Children’s Trust, Wellman Building, Dudley Road, Oldbury, West Midlands. B69 3DL

If your child is not eligible for support from the Children with Disabilities Team you can contact the Single Point of Contact Team for information about further support options. They can be contacted on 0121 569 3100.

Social Care Support for Adults 

If you care for someone aged 18 or over the way decisions are made about providing support, including short breaks, has changed because of the 2014 Care Act. Find out more about the new system

Accessing Short Breaks

It's important for carers to take a break. Caring for somebody can be a full time job and it's important for your own well-being and quality of life to have some time to relax, alone or with friends/family, or the person you care for.

A short break may be for a few hours, an evening, an overnight or maybe a weekend stay. This could be in the community, in the family's own home, in a paid carer's home, or in a specialist residential setting.

Do you need a short break?

Get in touch with us

Family Information Service
Back to top