Preparing for adulthood
Preparing for adulthood means moving on from being a child to becoming an adult.
The principles and processes of effective preparation for adulthood
- Early planning at the point which is right for the young person, but as early as possible between the ages 0-25.
- Holistic assessment, planning and review.
- Active involvement of young people and their families.
- Promotion of maximum independence throughout a young person's childhood. This would be done at the point which is right for the young person, but as early as possible between the ages 0-25.
- Raising aspirations and focusing on key life chances.
- Provision of information and advocacy.
- Integrated streamlined assessment and planning processes across all agencies. Children’s Social Care, The NHS ( children and adults), Education and Adult Social Care.
General Information for Young Adults with SEND
Between the ages of 14 and 25 you will need to make important choices about your future, such as:
You can find a lot of information about these areas on the Preparing for Adulthood website.
There is also guidance about what schools, colleges and other agencies should be doing to support the transition to adult life in the SEND Code of Practice, particularly chapters 6, 7 and 8.
If you can't find what we are looking for in these pages you may be able to find other services in Sandwell which can help. There are a number of ways to do this:
Children's Centre News
Looking for something to do with your baby or toddler? Children's Centres are running virtual sessions during Covid-19 pandemic.
Talk to the Family Information Service
Want to know more about the Family Information Service? Why not book on to a Live Chat session and talk to a member of the team. Sessions last 30 mins giving you an opportunity to ask questions and find out more about information and services for families. Spaces are…
Free antenatal classes for Grandparents to be
We’re excited to announce another new addition to Sandwell’s Changes Antenatal offer – a two hour session specifically designed to support grandparents-to-be or other family members. Research with new parents in Sandwell tells us that the first person they ask…
Childcare Survey 2021
Coram Family and Childcare has published it's 21st annual Childcare…
SPDC April Activities
Sandwell Parents for Disabled Children - Parent Carer Activities timetable for April 2021 is out now. Bookings must be made to
Local Restrictions in Sandwell
Sandwell and the whole of England remains under national lockdown. Step 1 of the Government's