Preparing for adulthood
Preparing for adulthood means moving on from being a child to becoming an adult.
The principles and processes of effective preparation for adulthood
- Early planning at the point which is right for the young person, but as early as possible between the ages 0-25.
- Holistic assessment, planning and review.
- Active involvement of young people and their families.
- Promotion of maximum independence throughout a young person's childhood. This would be done at the point which is right for the young person, but as early as possible between the ages 0-25.
- Raising aspirations and focusing on key life chances.
- Provision of information and advocacy.
- Integrated streamlined assessment and planning processes across all agencies. Children’s Social Care, The NHS ( children and adults), Education and Adult Social Care.
General Information for Young Adults with SEND
Between the ages of 14 and 25 you will need to make important choices about your future, such as:
In the downloads section of this page you can find further resources to help you prepare for adulthood:
- A guide to an online Black Country Careers Expo
- An editable vocational profile to help with person-centred approaches to post-16 options along with supporting information
- My Skills My Future guide to help with skills development and choosing next steps
You can also find a lot of information about these areas on the Preparing for Adulthood website.
There is also guidance about what schools, colleges and other agencies should be doing to support the transition to adult life in the SEND Code of Practice, particularly chapters 6, 7 and 8.
If you can't find what we are looking for in these pages you may be able to find other services in Sandwell which can help. There are a number of ways to do this:
Childcare Support Session
Need a bit of advice or a chat with someone about childcare and family support? Want to know how to apply for free childcare for 2, 3 and 4 year olds? Need to find out about 30 hours free childcare? Why not book on to a Childcare Support session and talk to a member of the…
Covid-19 Advice in Sandwell
Covid-19 Advice in…
Childminder Briefing Session
Thinking about becoming a registered Childminder? Childminding is a rewarding career, and provides opportunities for developing new skills and qualifications. Why not book on to the next Childminder Briefing Session Wednesday 11th…
SPDC October Activities
Sandwell Parents for Disabled Children - Parent Carer Activities timetable for October Half Term 2021 is out now. Bookings must be made to
SPDC Family Club October 2021
2 fun filled physical activities for the whole family to get involved with. Inflata Nation Inflatable Theme Park Thursday 14th October 5pm-7pm Unit 6 Astle Park, West Bromwich, B70…
Kooth Eventbrite Sessions
Kooth Eventbrite Sessions Sep-Dec 2021
Teen Autism Confident
Coming to Sandwell this Autumn a new programme for autistic teens (13-18 years). One to one session with an autism specialist 6 weekly group…
Children's Centre News
Looking for something to do with your baby or toddler?
Library Story Time
Libraries welcoming families. NEW Story times and songs for under 5s Starting at Stone Cross Library from Thursday 21 October 10.15am-11am Please book your space by contacting
SPDC Half Term Food Deliveries
This October half term SPDC are pleased to be joining forces with