Preparing for adulthood
Preparing for adulthood means moving on from being a child to becoming an adult.
The principles and processes of effective preparation for adulthood
- Early planning at the point which is right for the young person, but as early as possible between the ages 0-25.
- Holistic assessment, planning and review.
- Active involvement of young people and their families.
- Promotion of maximum independence throughout a young person's childhood. This would be done at the point which is right for the young person, but as early as possible between the ages 0-25.
- Raising aspirations and focusing on key life chances.
- Provision of information and advocacy.
- Integrated streamlined assessment and planning processes across all agencies. Children’s Social Care, The NHS ( children and adults), Education and Adult Social Care.
General Information for Young Adults with SEND
Between the ages of 14 and 25 you will need to make important choices about your future, such as:
In the downloads section of this page you can find further resources to help you prepare for adulthood:
- A guide to an online Black Country Careers Expo
- An editable vocational profile to help with person-centred approaches to post-16 options along with supporting information
- My Skills My Future guide to help with skills development and choosing next steps
You can also find a lot of information about these areas on the Preparing for Adulthood website.
There is also guidance about what schools, colleges and other agencies should be doing to support the transition to adult life in the SEND Code of Practice, particularly chapters 6, 7 and 8.
If you can't find what we are looking for in these pages you may be able to find other services in Sandwell which can help. There are a number of ways to do this:
Online Parent Survey
Sandwell Family Information Service Online Parent Survey
4 families e-newsletter
why not sign up to our 4 families e-newsletter? Get the latest news from Sandwell Family Information Service delivered straight to your inbox.
Sandwell Family Information Service
Watch our video to find out more about who we are and what we do for families in Sandwell. Book on to one of our regular online chat sessions. Sign up to the 4 families e-newsletter and get the latest information straight to your…
Family Information Chat Session
Need a bit of advice or a chat with someone about childcare and family support? Want to know how to apply for free childcare for 2, 3 and 4 year olds? Need to find out about 30 hours free childcare? Why not book on to a Family Information Chat session and talk to a member of the…
SPDC Family Club Activities
SPDC Family Club A variety of activities in the coming weeks…
Children's Centre News
Looking for something to do with your baby or toddler?
Childminder Briefing Session
Thinking about becoming a registered Childminder? Childminding is a rewarding career, and provides opportunities for developing new skills and qualifications. Why not book on to the next Childminder Briefing Session Wednesday 21st…