Preparing for adulthood
Preparing for adulthood means moving on from being a child to becoming an adult.
The principles and processes of effective preparation for adulthood
- Early planning at the point which is right for the young person, but as early as possible between the ages 0-25.
- Holistic assessment, planning and review.
- Active involvement of young people and their families.
- Promotion of maximum independence throughout a young person's childhood. This would be done at the point which is right for the young person, but as early as possible between the ages 0-25.
- Raising aspirations and focusing on key life chances.
- Provision of information and advocacy.
- Integrated streamlined assessment and planning processes across all agencies. Children’s Social Care, The NHS ( children and adults), Education and Adult Social Care.
General Information for Young Adults with SEND
Between the ages of 14 and 25 you will need to make important choices about your future, such as:
You can find a lot of information about these areas on the Preparing for Adulthood website.
There is also guidance about what schools, colleges and other agencies should be doing to support the transition to adult life in the SEND Code of Practice, particularly chapters 6, 7 and 8.
If you can't find what we are looking for in these pages you may be able to find other services in Sandwell which can help. There are a number of ways to do this:
Children's Centre News
Looking for something to do with your baby or toddler? Children's Centres are running virtual sessions during Covid-19 pandemic.
HAF Summer 2021
REGISTER NOW for FREE summer HAF21 Sandwell events. Free fun activities linked to a food offer for children and young people during the summer holidays.
Childcare Support Session
Need a bit of advice or a chat with someone about childcare and family support? Want to know how to apply for free childcare for 2, 3 and 4 year olds? Need to find out about 30 hours free childcare? Why not book on to a Childcare Support session and talk to a member of the…
Free Swimming in Sandwell
Don’t forget that Sandwell Leisure Trust offers free…
Covid-19 Advice in Sandwell
Covid-19 Advice in Sandwell England and Sandwell has…