We are the Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) for Sandwell families.
Our aim is to enable parents/carers, children and young people to make informed decisions about education, by ensuring they have the advice, information and support to make those decisions.
We are a free, impartial and confidential service. This means we won’t charge you for our service, our advice is not led by Local Authority but guided by National policies on SEND and we do not share information unless permission is given or if a child is deemed at risk.
What we can do to help you
- Provide clear, accurate and impartial advice about special educational needs and disability (SEND)
- Enable you to use your rights to ensure the educational needs of your child are met
- Listen to your questions and concerns
- Offer support and guidance with SEN procedures
- Explain the process of accessing SEN School Support
- Provide support in preparing for meetings (sometimes we can attend these with you, depending on our availability)
- Support you through the statutory assessment process for an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP)
- Answer questions around your child’s EHCP
- Offer support to help you through the EHC Assessment and application for EHCP
- Signpost you to other national and local services where necessary, including support groups and activities
- Help you to resolve disagreements (including referring you for independent SEN mediation, where appropriate)
- Provide training for parents/carers and professionals on different aspects of SEND.